Spring 4.0 Features
- Many improvements to Spring Core Container like generics as autowiring qualifiers, conditional annotation, ordered auto wiring qualifiers and ordered auto wiring into lists and arrays.
- Complete support for Java 8 features. One important point to note is, minimum requirement to using Spring 4 is Java SE6. Similarly requires Servlet 3.0+ for Spring Web modules
- Supports conditional Bean Creation.
- Spring 4.0.x has added modules new spring-websocket and spring-messaging for WebSocket-based communication and support STOMP.
- Support for external bean configuration using Groovy DSL.
- Supports SockJS, STOMP Messaging and Java Websocket API.
- Improvements to RestTemplate
- Loads of improvements to Spring Test module.
- Lots of third party dependencies have been upgraded their respective latest versions. Like Hibernate 3.6+, EhCache 2.1+, Quartz 1.8+, Groovy 1.8+, and Joda-Time 2.0+.
- Removed many deprecated packages and methods
Spring 4.1 Improvements
Spring 4.1.5 was released on February 20, 2015 with lots of new features and improvements.
- Many improvements to Spring JMS Module. Added new annotations and also provided some improvements to “jms:annotation-driven”namespace.
- Many improvements to Spring Web modules
- Improvements to WebSocket module
- Improvements to SockJS &STOM Messaging
- Improvements to Spring Test module
- Improvements in Spring Cache
- Supports JCache Annotations