- Install XQuartz on your Mac, which is the official X server software for Mac
- Run Applications > Utilities > XQuartz.app
- Right click on the XQuartz icon in the dock and select Applications > Terminal. This should bring up a new xterm terminal windows.
- In this xterm windows, ssh into the linux system of your choice using the -X argument (secure X11 forwarding). For example:
ssh -Y firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once you are logged into the linux system, you can just run the GUI program of your choice and it will display on your Mac.